Monday, June 18, 2007

Bhagavad-Gita

Bhagavad-gita is universally renowned as the jewel of India's spiritual wisdom. Spoken by Lord Sri Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, to His intimate devotee Arjuna, the Gita's seven hundred concise verses provide a definitive guide to the science of self-realization.

I was in India in February 2007. In the hotel I stayed, there are 2 books in every rooms. One is the Teaching of Budhha and the other is "Bhagavad-Gita As It Is." The former I already have it. I bought the later from the hotel at 225 rupees.

Mahatma Gandhi once said : When doubts haunt me, when disappointments stare me in the face, and I see not one ray of hope on the horizon, I turn to Bhagavad-gita and find a verse to comfort me; and I immediately begin to smile in the midst of overwhelming sorrow. Those who meditate on the Gita will derive fresh joy and new meanings from it every day.

If you are interested to read this 920 pages book but cannot buy it, just let me know, I can lend you.

If you are reading it for the first time, you may not understand what was written. A easier way to read it is to go to the index and look for the topic you want, eg Happiness, Compassion, etc.

1 comment:

hello said...

this is interesting, i had no idea hotels in india kept the gita in each room....thought you may be interested in learning about how one hindu saint , like gandhi, made her life an example of practicing the gita's teachings....check out:

http://www.gitananda.org/mirabai/mirabai.html

or www.gitananda.org