Monday, August 29, 2011

My Experience in Batam Projects 2010 - 11 as volunteer


My Experience in Batam Projects 2010 - 11 as volunteer

My first Batam trip is on 12 Jun 2010. It was a very good experience and I went back there again 3 times this year (2011).
 [3rd from left is Jesline and 2nd from right is Ruheng]

Ask me why I keep going back, the answer is simply because I love to give and I feel good when I do good. One of the main difference between last year trip and this year trip is last year trip we bring all the things to give from Singapore whereas for this year trips, things are mostly bought in Batam. All my trips are over the weekend, ie Saturday and Sunday, except my latest trip, 7 – 9 Aug 11, which lasted for 3 days to coincide with our National Day.

Below shows the different orphanages I have been to or helped :
No
Name of  Orphanage
Total
Teacher
Total
Location
1
AL - IKHLAS
23
3
26
T.UNCANG
2
HIZBUL WATON
20
3
23
SEI TEMIANG
3
AL - IRSYAD
40
2
42
TIBAN
4
BINA UMMAH
48
7
55
RS ( PERUM BINA UMMAH)
5
PERMATE BATAM
27
3
30
PERUM BUMI SAKINAH
6
FROFIDENSIA
123
7
130
TIBAN
7
PANTI BATESDA
43
3
46
BATAM CENTRE
8
PANTI  AL - ANSHORI
36
3
39
DEPAN PBI
9
L-SADAI
21
2
23
TG. PIAYU
10
ANNI'MAH
40
3
43
DAPUR 12
11
MIFTAHUL ULUM
30
2
32
BATAM CENTRE
12
ST TERESIA
98
5
103
BARELANG
13
AL - MUTALIM
33
2
35
TG UMA

TOTAL
582
45
627


Some of the Orphanages are linked to religion and some are not linked. At the orphanage, we will give the children a nice meal and play some games, sing and dance with the children there. Before we say good-bye, we will also give each child a goodie bag.

My first trip was with the help of an active cyclist, Collin Ng. We stayed at Batam View Resort when we were there. Over at the resort, there is a nice swimming pool and a big spa with different packages for people to choose from. It is the first time I have my massage with a nice sea view. My wife and I were asked to remove everything before the massage.

Subsequent trips in 2011 we stayed at Batam town. The arrangement were done by Ruheng and Jesline Heng, both are Buddhist. Stay in Batam town is good because we can buy our stuff to give away and enjoyed the local food nearby our hotel. Massage is available at the hotel or within walking distance.
  
Finally, there are many photos and memories to share, I just want to say if I have opportunity to go back to Batam again, I will still do so. I believes everyone has their dreams including the orphanages in Batam. How to make their DREAMS come true ? The answer is you do it by working.


Drop me a mail at ychaoloy@singnet.com.sg if you are interested to join me.
Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm arabella. I went for a batam project with my school just a few days ago. I want to know the address of Al-Ikhlas, as I went there for my project.
The children are really fun to play with, and I may want to go back to help after my A levels.
Thank you!
You can email me the address by arabellagunawan@gmail.com