Saturday, August 11, 2007

I Found A Handphone

On 1 Aug 2007, my wife and I went for our usual Qi Gong lesson at Bukit Batok. I parked my car next to a lorry full of vegetable at the cargo compartment. It was around 8:05pm and our lesson starts at 8:15pm. As we were about to leave the car, we heard a ringing tone at the cargo compartment of the lorry. It was dark as there was no lamp post within near vincinity. My wife tried to look for the phone but cannot see anything. After a few ringing, the ringing stop. As we were about to leave for our Qi Gong, we heard the same ringing tone again. I went to the back of the lorry and start to look under the container with vegetable in it. Finally, I found the ringing phone. In my mind, I am thinking, the owner of the phone must be looking for his phone. As I was about to answer the phone, the ringing stop again. We walked slowly towards the nearby badminton court where we practice our Qi Gong. I also tried to return a call to the caller. Fortunately, there is missed call ID. When I call back, someone answered the call. I was having some difficulty to understand what he is trying to tell me because he an Indian. But I can understand he is trying to tell me he is now at Choa Chu Kang MRT station and he just lost his handphone. I told him I am trying to return the phone to him but I need to attend to something first and I will call him at 9:30pm.

We rushed for our Qi Gong lesson immediately. After the lesson, I tried to call him but no one answer the phone. It is an old Nokia handphone subscribe to Singtel. On the screen, I can also see there is an outstanding payment of $167 and some IDD call outstanding payment. One of our Qi Gong friend live at Teck Whye area, I give her a lift back. On the way to Teck Whye, we tried to call him again and managed to get him. So I asked him where his location. With his broken English, he told me he is at the McDonald near Choa Chu Kang MRT station. I asked him to wait for me there. We also asked him what was the colour of his shirt. He told us he wore a green wind breaker.

When I arrived at the McDonald, I saw him waiting eagerly, outside McDonald, for me to come. The moment I asked if he is the one who lost a handphone, he answered me "Yes, I am the person we spoke a while ago." I asked him what is the brand and colour of his phone, he quickly answered me " It is a black Nokia phone." I handed over the handphone back to him. I can felt he was very happy to get back his lost phone. He also asked if I would like to eat something at the McDonald. I replied him "No, thank you" and left for home.

I often heard about people losing their handphone but not able to recover it. Well, if I can help someone and make that someone happy, even I do not get anything back in return, why not ? Some may ask : Why do you want to do that ? My answer is very simple : Do good, avoid evil and purified the mind.

When I do good, I feel good.
When I do bad, I feel bad.
That's my religion.
- Abraham Lincoln

No comments: